Pages

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Stationary Bike

As you know from earlier entries that my Cholesterol will go awry if actions are not taken to keep it under control. I got the following after googling it.

Cholesterol is a lipid (fat) which is produced by the liver. Cholesterol is vital for normal body function. Every cell in our body has cholesterol in its outer layer.
Cholesterol is a waxy steroid and is transported in the blood plasma of all animals. It is the main sterol synthesized by animals - small amounts are also synthesized in plants and fungi. A sterol is a steroid sub-group.

Below is a list of cholesterol levels and how most doctors would categorize them in mg/dl (milligrams/deciliter) and 5mmol/liter (millimoles/liter).
  • Desirable - Less than 200 mg/dL
  • Bordeline high - 200 to 239 mg/dL
  • High - 240 mg/dL and above
  • Optimum level: less than 5mmol/liter
  • Mildly high cholesterol level: between 5 to 6.4mmol/liter
  • Moderately high cholesterol level: between 6.5 to 7.8mmol/liter
  • Very high cholesterol level: above 7.8mmol/liter

Dangers of high cholesterol levels

High cholesterol levels can cause:
  • Atherosclerosis - narrowing of the arteries.
  • Higher coronary heart disease risk - an abnormality of the arteries that supply blood and oxygen to the heart.
  • Heart attack - occurs when the supply of blood and oxygen to an area of heart muscle is blocked, usually by a clot in a coronary artery. This causes your heart muscle to die.
  • Angina - chest pain or discomfort that occurs when your heart muscle does not get enough blood.
  • Other cardiovascular conditions - diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
  • Stroke and mini-stroke - occurs when a blood clot blocks an artery or vein, interrupting the flow to an area of the brain. Can also occur when a blood vessel breaks. Brain cells begin to die.
If both blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels are high, the risk of developing coronary heart disease rises significantly.
So scary... I must admit that I'm affected momentarily. I feel the urge to start exercising. Leaving the office today, I'm feeling very motivated. Reaching the door of my home, I wanted to give it all up and just go in, sit my butt down and have my dinner. Forget about the stationary bike.

I managed to get myself out of my comfort zone and sit my butt down on the stationary bike instead of the dining chair. My accomplishment? 5 mins, 52 calories and 2.7km. I'm going to build it up gradually.

Now comes the fun part. What am I doing now? Typing my entry with many pcs of Hershey's Cookies & Cream chocolate and 2 cups of floral tea. Ha ha...

I wish you a great Tuesday my friend!

Dreamy C

No comments:

Post a Comment